Thursday, August 8, 2013

Beautiful Backgrounds - Timeless Tuesday #232

The Timeless Tuesday Challenge at Flourishes this week is to create your own background paper using stamps. I decided to use a distress resist technique for my card (similar to Broni's).



I started out by randomly stamping the butterfly image from Butterfly Blossoms with Versa Mark onto a piece of watercolour paper and heat embossing with white embossing powder. Next I took two of my three Ranger Distress ink pads (this pretty much set my colour palette - need to get some more distress inks) - Antique Linen and Broken Glass - and smooched them down direct to paper covering the surface of the watercolour paper. I generally put the Antique Linen around the butterflies and filled in the spaces with Broken Glass. Then I sprayed the whole thing with water using a mini mister (your paper will curl up at this point, but don't worry about it, it will flatten as it dries).  Distress inks react with water so you get a beautiful blended effect - also the colours seem to separate out somewhat which is why the Antique Linen left areas of a beautiful orange/yellow.

I stamped the large floral image from Butterfly Blossoms onto another piece of watercolour paper using Ranger's Broken Glass Distress ink. Using the Victorian Oval Die I determined where to place the sentiment from Picking Wildflowers over the floral image and stamped it with Memento Tuxedo Black and die cut it with the Victorian Oval Die. While the die cut was still in the die I sponge on some Creme Brulee ink to the outside edges of the central oval - the Antique Linen ink did not work for this step since the colour was too different from my background paper.

Supplies: Standard A2 size
Stamps - Butterfly Blossoms, Picking Wildflowers (Flourishes)
Ink - Ranger Distress Inks - Antique Linen, Broken Glass, Memento Tuxedo Black, Creme Brulee (CTMH), Versa Mark, White EP
Paper - Watercolour paper (Daler-Rowney), Creme Brulee CS (CTMH), Classic Ivory CS (Flourishes)
Accessories - Rhinestone Flourish, 1/2" seam binding (coloured with Goldrush), button, white hemp (CTMH)
Other - Victorian Oval Template Die (Flourishes), scallop border punch (EK), heat tool, spray bottle, 3D foam

3 comments:

  1. Connie, I am floored by this gorgeous card! That background is incredible...I always love seeing your beautiful creations! I am so glad you were able to play along with us this week at Flourishes for our Timeless Tuesday Challenge...you rocked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh, Connie, this is stunning! Your background looks amazing, and I love that you even created a background for your sentiment! Gorgeous colors, too. Antique Linen is my least used Distress Ink. I had no idea it could look so beautiful. I'm definitely pinning this beauty! I'm so glad you joined us this week for the Flourishes' Timeless Tuesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning Connie! I love the blues and yellows together! Lovin' the back ground you created. Thanks for playing along with our Timeless Tuesday Challenge last week! I hope you play along with again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your kind comments, they always make my day.