Thursday, October 3, 2013

Timeless Tuesday #240 - Paper Piecing Blue Orchids

The Timeless Tuesday challenge at Flourishes this week is to create a project using paper piecing. The twist to this week's challenge is that there will be up to four winners and each of those winners will win a stamp set from Flourishes and get the opportunity to be Guest Designer for one of the Timeless Tuesday challenges in December! So get those scissors snipping.

A few months back I was walking down the main street of my home town and was stopped in my tracks by the sight of gorgeous blue orchids sitting in the window of the local florist shop. I had never seen blue orchids before, they were absolutely stunning and the image has stayed with me. When I saw this week's challenge I knew it was the perfect opportunity to recreate those blue orchids in paper. My mother has a magic touch with orchids, so I made this card to send to her in the near future. We lost my dad earlier this year and she finds it very lonely after 65 years of marriage to be on her own, so I try to send little surprises in the mail to her whenever I can. Can't wait to send her this one.


First I stamped the orchid image onto my white cardstock front - 4 1/4" x 4 7/8". I stamped the image twice on blue designer paper and once on yellow DP. For one of the blue sets I cut out the full orchid flowers (except for the little tongue), shaded them a bit with a copic marker and adhered them to the card front. For the second stamped image on blue I cut out only the top two petals of each flower, shaded them and adhered them to the first blooms applying glue only to the center portion so that the petals could be pushed up slightly to give more dimension. Then I cut out the center portion of the yellow flowers, shaded them with copics and adhered. The stems and buds are coloured with copics.

To add a little textural interest to the top of the card I took my PTI heart border die and used it to emboss across the top of the card first. Then I added a section of the heart border that I die cut. A sentiment, sparkles, black border and yellow print rounded out the card.

Supplies:
Stamps - Orchids, April Showers (Flourishes)
Paper - Stardust, Chantilly DP (CTMH), Neena Solar White CS, Black CS
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics - G05, 12, 14, Y21, 35, B34
Other - Blue sparkles (CTMH), Heart Border Die (PTI)

9 comments:

  1. Stunning! Love the colours and how the orchid is off the edge. Thanks for sharing.
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card! Looking forward to creating a card for a dear friend, using your beautiful inspiration as a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous, Connie. You do make the most exceptional cards. Clean and elegant combined !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is gorgeous!! So perfectly done, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a glorious card Connie! I just love what you did with the paper piecing of your orchid. Stunning! Thanks for joining us for our special "Timeless Tuesday Challenge" over at Flourishes this week! Good luck in the contest! Don't forget to check out the other two challenges we have at Flourishes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness--this is fabulous! I know your mother will be thrilled to have this gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Connie this is gorgeous! Every element is so perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! Just yesterday I saw my first blue orchid at our local Publix grocery store! Beautiful-as is your card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your kind comments, they always make my day.