Monday, September 2, 2013

Ran Out of 'Air' While CASEing Ally

Friday's Designer Focus at Flourishes was all about the very talented Allison Cope. Allison creates such beautiful work and she is always thinking outside of the box. I just absolutely love her artwork. Part of this summer feature is a challenge to CASE the highlighted designer. I chose to case this gorgeous card here in which Ally uses Copic airbrushing. I have a story to tell about this, but first here is my CASE card:

I will have to admit that I didn't airbrush this card, I sponged the ink on, and here is why. I started out totally CASEing Ally's beautiful card, using the same die cut, colours etc. I stamped and airbrushed the center panel and went on to create the backdrop panel when I ran out of 'Air' for my copics. I haven't done a lot of airbrushing having purchased one of the starter sets which comes with a can of air, (D60 - 7 - 8 minutes total spray time), to see if I would like it before investing in a compressor system. Living in a small town, the closest place to purchase Copic products is more than 45 minutes away so that wasn't happening. Having a half completed card I decided to improvise and tried using a can of air meant to be used for your computer. It actually does work but it takes some fiddling to get it to work well. At the left below is a picture of the back panel with my improvised 'computer canned air' - you can see that there are a lot of areas where the ink is quite heavy and the effect is quite uneven. The picture on the right shows the panel on which I used the copic canned airbrushing.

A little later I tried taping my Sketch marker to the can of computer air and was able to control the flow of ink a bit better, but I think the pressure is stronger than when using the Copic canned air and since I didn't have my masks pressed down completely you can see where the ink went under the mask.

I had a lot of fun with this challenge, but I still haven't decided on the airbrushing question yet. Thanks for looking.

Stamps - Poppy Patch, With Gratitude (Flourishes)
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics - C1,3 &5, Sunflower (CTMH)
Paper - Neena Solar White, Black CS
Accessories - Black seam binding (May Arts), Black pearls (Kaiserkraft)
Other - Labels Eighteen, A2 Matting Basics A & B (Spellbinders), 3D foam, Bow Easy


  1. Connie, you may have blended rather than airbrushed but it still looks brilliant. Wonderful blending and very eye catching. Great improvising and thinking outside the box even if it wasn't 100% successful on your other attempt.

  2. Well, you are ingenious trying to get the "airbrushing" to work :)

    Your card is just beautiful Connie! The golden yellow with the B & W is so perfect! Thanks so much for playing along CASEing Ally!

  3. I have never been able to get the hang of air-brushing. *sigh* But I adore your card with the rich yellow background. It's stunning!!

  4. Good golly... I just love your yellow version of my card Connie! I love that you tried using the computer canned air - clever girl! Love the sponged effect of your card - simply stunning CASE!

  5. Wow, Connie! Your card turned out GORGEOUS! Same thing happened to me awhile back with canned air, but it never occurred to me to try computer canned air! I ended up buying a compressor, and I don't use it that much, but it is SO nice when I do need it that I don't have to worry about whether or not I have any air!


Thanks so much for your kind comments, they always make my day.