Friday, August 10, 2012

Stamping on Canvas

Wednesday's Noon Time Challenge at Flourishes was to create a card with texture and Thursday's challenge at CASE Study was to think "Outside of the Box", or in other words try something new. I have been wanting to try stamping and colouring on canvas for a while so I thought that would be perfect to satisfy both of these challenges. I purchased some canvas from my local fabric store, stamped one of my all time favourite images from 'Hydrangea' using Memento Tuxedo Black ink and coloured it in with copics. After fraying the edges I sewed the piece of canvas to cardstock to give it some stability. I added more texture with some crocheted ribbon, seam binding ribbon, sewing and an embossed piece of cardstock that I tucked behind the canvas image.

Tip - Just a note about working with canvas. I wanted my final piece to be square with frayed edges. If you have worked with fabric before you know that sometimes the warp and weft of the fabric isn't always straight. So, before you stamp your image take the opposite diagonal corners of your fabric and pull on your fabric along the diagonal (repeat with opposite corners) until the threads run straight up and down and across. Hope that makes sense.


Had a tough time getting a good picture today, very overcast. This card is so pretty in real life.

Supplies - 5 1/2" x 5 1/2"

Paper - Green print - Avonlea, Avonlea Off White CS (CTMH), Yellow stripe (scrap bin), Green CS (Bazzill), canvas (fabric store)
Stamps - Hydrangea, Botanical Bookplates Vol. 2 (Flourishes)
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics - B91, B97, BG75, E31, E44, YG93, YG95, YG97, Indian Corn Blue reinker (CTMH)
Accessories - Round Studs (CTMH), Antique brad (SU), crochet lace (Kaiserkraft), 1/2" seam binding (MayArts)
Other - Labels 4 (Spellbinders). embossing folder (Provocraft), sewing thread, 3D foam

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is sooo beautiful! Love the texture and color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie...this is one GORGEOUS card!!! I love how you stamped onto the canvas...it really gives it the WOW factor!!! Thank you for playing the texture challenge with us...hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Connie, you have stolen my heart again with one of your beautiful cards!! This is so beautiful and designed with perfection! I love your stamped canvas, it's the perfect texture :)

    Thank you for playing along on Flourishes Noontime Challenge!

    ~ Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Connie. The canvas looks perfect with the Hydrangeas. Thanks for joining along with the noon challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to see this card in real life, if you're saying it's better! I think it looks totally fabulous on the photo, way to rock the canvas!! Thank you for joining us for the CASE Study Anniversary celebrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That is amazing. It stood out among the thumbnails so I had to have a closer look. Fantastic. Thanks for the tips about using fabric:)
    http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie, this is a really beautiful piece! Hydrangeas are a fav of mine, and yours looks so real - like how soft the fabric makes it. I tried this last year - failed miserably. Perhaps I will try again with your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, your card certainly does look beautiful from this picture...I can't imagine it looking more lovely! The hydrangeas are the most gorgeous shade of blue and your bow is fantastic! Thanks for playing along with us this week at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done and well deserving of the recognition at CSC. Stamping on the canvas gives just the right texture to the natural colors and design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your kind comments, they always make my day.