Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gift Idea - 3D Frame


I created this framed photo as a Christmas gift for my mother-in-law. It features a picture of her as a young girl of 17 on a date with her future husband at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto in 1955. I love the Roxie paper with this photo, not sure why but it just says retro to me. The shadow box frames were bought in a pack of three from Michaels for about $12.



I started out looking at scrapbook layout sketches for inspiration and ended up using a card layout sketch. Since the actual working space available is about 6" x 7 1/2", card sketches actually work well. This layout was inspired by a past Mojo Monday sketch #155.


I wanted to do a video tutorial for this, but don't have the time right now. So here are the measurements for anyone interested.

Cardstock Background - 10" x 8"
Designer Paper Background - 10" x 8"
Left DP strip - 6" x 1-3/4"
Center DP strip - 6" x 1-1/2"
Right DP strip - 6" x 2-1/2"
I used my Spellbinders to cut a shape for across the bottom, but you could put a rectangular piece across the bottom at 1-1/2" x 6"
Photo Mat - 5" x 4"
Photo - 4-3/4" x 3-3/4"

I don't own a Cricut yet, but if I did I would have made some 3-D flowers using the Art Philosophy cartridge instead of the prima roses. I distressed the edges of the paper with Desert Sand ink and an edge distresser. I coloured the center rhinestone on each of the rhinestone brads with a Copic marker so that there would be a touch of Juniper on the right side. I changed the colour of the top of the pins using liquid glass mixed with black re-inker and popped the photo with a double layer of 3-D foam tape to pop it up higher.

Supplies: (all CTMH except where noted)

Paper - Roxie designer paper, Black & Juniper cardstock
Stamps - Circle of Love (D1438), Because I Love You (C1259 - retired)
Ink - Black, Smoothie, Desert Sand, Juniper, Black re-inker, Copic marker BG72
Accessories - Paper roses (Prima), Rhinestone Designer Brads, pins and rhinestone button - Bling Assortment, Bamboo Waxy Flax, Bitty Sparkles, 3D foam tape, Liquid Glass, 1/2" Black seam binding (May Arts), window charm (unknown)
Other - Edge distresser, leaf punch (Martha Stewart), Labels 18 (Spellbinders)

2 comments:

Thanks so much for your kind comments, they always make my day.